Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Gettin' back on that Horse!

So, dating after having a hysterectomy is a little trickier than I thought. I didn't realize it would be so difficult to feel "normal" again.

I have my last follow up with the doc tomorrow, and I'm pretty sure she is going to give me the green light to go ahead and resume my regular activities...such as working out.  The time has come where I'm supposed to get back to my "normal" life...only,  I can't really forget about all that's happened to me....got the hot flashes to remind me, a few hundred times a day!

I was on a date last week, having dinner....and I must have had like 4 hot flashes in the 2 hours I was there. It's a little embarassing when you go from cool as a breeze to oh my God I am bursting into flames internally, in like 3 seconds flat.   And did I mention the sweat?  yes....I am usually covered in sweat by the time my hot flash has passed. 

I wondered what he must have been thinking....

"Wow I must make her really nervous!!...score!"     I thought it was kinder to let him go ahead and think that. Plus I wasn't ready to get into the story that led to my oh so persistant hot flashes.

I hardly know how to dress anymore.....I try to wear light layers, but then I'm freezing. So I put on a sweater, and then I'm boiling.  So my day goes a little something like this: Put on the sweater, take off the sweater....put on the sweater, take off the sweater...put on the sweater...take off the sweater. Well you get the idea!

Basically, resuming my normal activities...such as dating....has turned out to be more complex than I thought. The thing is, I have to try and get my life back at some point...and I think that point is now.

As hard as it is to move forward from all of this, I have to do it....and I know it'll get easier in time. I guess right now it just feels emotional.

2 comments:

  1. Rosie, Thank you for your comment on my blog. I am wondering specifics about your mastectomy and reconstruction. My plastic surgeon suggests an incision from my nipple to my armpit (angled down actually towards my elbow). Then expanders and implants. I am wondering where your incisions are and how quickly you recovered from the first mastectomy/reconstruction expander insert surgery. Thank you, Lisa Jakopisek.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa,
      when I had my mastectomy, I chose to do the DIEP reconstruction. So they basically took some fat from my stomach to reconstruct my breasts..no implants. Truthfully, if I could go back..I would prob do the implants. my surgeon was wonderful, and did such an amazing job...but the recovery was so long! because it was two major surgeries at once. Took 6 weeks to go back to normal, or as normal as it could get. ;)

      I have a huge scar going across my abdomen, but the scars aroung my breasts are not bad at all. They're pretty much under, and can only be slightly seen from the side..in the direction of my armpit.

      I read on your blog that your hot flashes aren't so bad...mine are pretty constant since the hysterectomy, but I don't think there is really anything that can be done. Are you going to take any hormones? my doc won't let me get on any.

      Delete